Life Skills Transition Program (LSTP)
The Life Skills Transition Program (LSTP) provides people with disabilities a learning opportunity for an introduction to employment including pre-employment, interpersonal and personal management skills while supporting goals to enhance an individualized transition plan.
The LSTP is a nine week introductory program which is divided into three week modules. Students participate in classes designed to provide a foundation of soft skills as part of their transition to employment. Goals include an introductory exposure to soft skills that support a student’s ability to:
- Seek and secure employment
- Increase awareness of interpersonal interactions that may impact employment
- Expand and enhance personal management skills that will increase potential for successful employment
The LSTP incorporates WWRC's living and learning environment to build on and provide opportunities to practice and apply learned skills. On and off campus activities provide an introduction to develop skills across three areas:
- Pre-Employment Skills
Work behaviors, attitudes, habits, job seeking skills, customer service, effective communication and vocational exploration
- Interpersonal Skills
Social skills, self-determination, self-advocacy, disability awareness, interpersonal communication, initiate, and dependability
- Personal Management Skills
Money management, time management, self-management of chronic health conditions, leisure skills and education, and learner's permit
The program's emphasis on work readiness is enhanced by the opportunity to earn customer service certification by participating in Through the Customer's Eyes. Also, a learner's permit class is offered to students who are ready to take this step towards obtaining their driver's license.
- LSTP Class Descriptions
- LSTP is supported by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) as part of the Commonwealth’s continuum of school-to-work transition services for youth and young adults with disabilities. LSTP is a cooperative participant in the VDOE’s Self-Determination Project.
- LSTP Admission Requirements: Meet WWRC Admissions Criteria.
- LSTP Program Completion: Upon completion of the LSTP, clients may be eligible for additional WWRC services such as vocational evaluation or vocational training.
|Phone||800-345-9972, Ext. 5403327065, or 540-332-7065|