Vocational Training Services
Health Occupations Training Area
The Health Occupations training area prepares clients for entry-level employment providing care to residents/patients in nursing homes or other health care facilities. In the Personal Care Aide training program, clients will acquire the basic skills and knowledge for assisting with personal care. In the Nurse Aide training program, clients will acquire advanced skills and knowledge necessary to prepare them for providing care under the supervision of licensed personnel.
- Meet WWRC admission criteria
- Have potential to develop and maintain communication skills for a health care environment
- Be able to tolerate job expectations of standing, walking, stooping and lifting up to 50 lbs
- Be able to work in a fast-paced, often stressful environment
- Have sufficient vision, hearing and use of hands
- Be able to accurately tell time
- Meet prerequisites for specific training program (if applicable)
Program Length: 350 hours, typically 56 training days or 3.0 months
Assisted living facilities, home health agencies, and private homes. This is a Medicaid approved program. A criminal background check will be required prior to employment. Job titles may include Personal Care Provider, Personal Care Assistant and Personal Home Care Aide.
- Successful completion of Personal Care Aide training program
- Ability to tolerate job expectations of standing, walking, stooping and lifting up to 80 lbs
Program Length: 730 hours, typically 118 training days or 6 months
This is a Board of Nursing approved program. A client must complete 100% of core competencies. Upon completion of training program, a client must pass a certification test. Certification is required for permanent employment in long-term care facilities, nursing homes, etc.
Assisted living facilities, home health agencies, and private homes. A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
For more, please see the Vocational Training Policies and Procedures.
|Vocational Training (VocationalTrainingInfo@wwrc.virginia.gov)|
|Phone||800-345-9972, Ext. 7383 or 540-332-7383|