Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal Cord Injury Clinic
WWRC offers a Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Clinic on a monthly basis. The clinic is staffed by a team of rehabilitation professionals (physiatrist, nurse, occupational therapist and physical therapist) who possess significant SCI clinical experience. The SCI Rehabilitation Team provides a multi-disciplinary evaluation and assessment of a client’s needs and potential in the following areas:
- bowel and bladder care
- skin integrity and pressure sores
- range of motion
- functional mobility skills such as transfers
- bed mobility
- wheelchair mobility
- in some cases; activities of daily living such as
- home management
- community involvement
- aging issues
- assistive technology
Who May Benefit from the Spinal Cord Injury Clinic?
- For clients who are newly injured, the SCI Rehabilitation Team can perform a multi-disciplinary evaluation and assessment of their needs and potential. Clients who demonstrate potential to benefit from additional rehabilitation services may be recommended for these services at WWRC. This continuum of services enables clients to have access to vital SCI rehabilitation services beyond the limited length of stay in inpatient rehabilitation that is prevalent in today’s health care system.
- For clients who have been injured for several years or more and have experienced additional gains in function since they received rehabilitation, the SCI Rehabilitation Team can make suggestions as to what they could do to continue to improve.
- For clients who are able to do less for themselves than when they first returned home from rehabilitation, the SCI Rehabilitation Team can evaluate and make recommendations for “getting back on track”. These clients may also benefit from information regarding the latest equipment and techniques being used in cutting edge spinal cord injury rehabilitation.
|Spinal Cord Injury Program Coordinator (SCIProgramInfo@wwrc.virginia.gov)|
|Phone||800-345-9922, Ext, 7118 or 540-332-7118|