Physical Therapy Services
Physical Therapy is skilled treatment that assists individuals to improve or restore the mobility necessary to move forward with their lives after an injury, surgery or illness. Physical therapists apply research and proven techniques to help people get back in motion with evaluation and treatment of all four of the body’s major systems: musculoskeletal, neuromuscular, cardiovascular/pulmonary, and integumentary (skin).
Blending science with creativity and inspiration, WWRC physical therapists help motivate clients during treatment to build the necessary strength, flexibility, coordination and mobility skills so that they can function optimally. Physical therapists develop a plan of care using a variety of treatment techniques that help clients increase movement, reduce pain, restore function, and prevent disability. Physical therapists can also help prevent loss of mobility and motion by developing a fitness and wellness-oriented program tailored to a client’s specific needs. Physical therapists work with clients to help them understand their bodies in order to achieve long-term health benefits.
Assistive Technology (AT), such as lower extremity bracing, prosthetics, walking aides and/or a wheelchair, may be recommended by a physical therapist to assist clients in their road to recovery. The most appropriate AT device is custom fit for every client. Physical therapists teach clients how to best use their AT devices.
Physical Therapy Programs and Services
- Muscle Re-education and Motor Control (restoring muscle tone, strength and coordination)
- Mobility Skills (getting around your home and community either walking or in a wheelchair)
- Gait Training including Partial Body-Weight Supported Gait (improving walking function and quality)
- Orthotics and Prosthetics Training (learning to use braces and artificial limbs)
- Balance Training
- Therapeutic Exercise (strength, flexibility and coordination)
- Functional Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation
- Assistive Technology/Wheelchair, Seating and Mobility Devices
- Physical Work Performance Evaluations
- Work Site Evaluations
- Work Conditioning
- Aquatic Therapy
- Adapted Sports and Recreation
- Lifetime Wellness and Fitness
|Physical Therapy Services (PhysicalTherapyInfo@wwrc.virginia.gov)|
|Phone||800-345-9972, Ext. 7118 or 540-332-7118|