Occupational Therapy Services
Occupational Therapy is skilled, holistic treatment that assists individuals in developing the skills necessary to gain or maximize independence in the home, school, workplace, community, and other settings. Here, the word “occupation” means an activity which “occupies” an individual’s time. These may be everyday life activities in which an individual participates on a daily basis. At WWRC, occupational therapists provide individualized treatment that support personal, and most importantly, vocational goals that are in line with the DARS mission.
All occupational therapists providing services through the department are registered through the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy and licensed through the Virginia State Board of Medicine. The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) established in 1917 is the national professional association that represents the interests and concerns of occupational therapy practitioners and students of occupational therapy and to improve the quality of occupational therapy services. In addition to being board certified and licensed, WWRC's occupational therapists have developed specialty areas of knowledge and expertise to facilitate the individual client's successful completion of medical and vocational rehabiliation programs, as well as the transition to employment and independent living.
Occupational therapists use a wide variety of adaptive equipment to help clients maximize their independence and meet their functional goals. Use of assistive technology is integral to the practice of occupational therapy. Technologies range from low-tech devices such as a sock donning device to high tech devices such as voice recognition computer technologies.
Occupational Therapy Programs and Services
- Activities of Daily Living (bathing, dressing, grooming, etc)
- Instrumental Activities of Daily Living/Independent Living Skills (home management tasks such as meal preparation)
- Community Re-entry (shopping, leisure pursuits)
- Assistive Technology/Assistive Computer Technology
- Assistive Technology evaluations pertinent to self-care, independent living, employment, and cognition
- Wheelchair seating/positioning relative to cushion evaluation/trial
- Environmental Modifications for home or work
- Driving/Vehicle Modifications
- Job Accommodations and worksite evaluation
|Occupational Therapy (OccupationTherapyInfo@wwrc.virginia.gov)|
|Phone||800-345-9972, Ext. 5403327117 or 540-332-7117|