Life Skills Transition Program (LSTP)
LSTP is a nine week introductory program divided into three week modules. Clients participate in classes designed to provide a foundation of soft skills as part of their transition to employment and independence. Goals include an introductory exposure to soft skills that support a client’s ability to:
- seek and secure employment;
- heighten awareness of personal interactions that may impact employment;
- expand and enhance interpersonal, personal management, and practical living skills that increase potential for living more independently.
The program incorporates WWRC’s living and learning environment to build on and provide opportunities to practice and apply learned skills. On and off-campus activities provide an introduction to skills development across these four areas:
- Employment Skills
Work behaviors, attitudes and habits, job seeking skills, customer service, effective communication and vocational exploration
- Interpersonal Skills
Disability awareness, self-advocacy, interpersonal communication, initiative/dependability, anger management, conflict resolution, social skills, and self-confidence
- Personal Management Skills
Money management, time management, route finding and information seeking, personal health care, chronic disease self-management, healthy relationships, leisure education, and driver’s preparation
- Practical Living Skills
Clothing care, hygiene and personal appearance, and the fundamentals of health and nutrition
The program’s emphasis on vocational readiness is enhanced by the opportunity for each client to earn the Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) while in the Life Skills Transition Program. Virginia's CRC is an assessment-based credential that gives employers, career seekers, and workforce professionals information and access to a uniform measure of key workplace skills demonstrated by a client.
- LSTP Class Descriptions
- LSTP is supported by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) as part of the Commonwealth’s continuum of school-to-work transition services for youth and young adults with disabilities. LSTP is a cooperative participant in the VDOE’s Self-Determination Project.
- LSTP Admission Requirements: Meet WWRC Admissions Criteria.
- LSTP Program Completion: Upon completion of the LSTP, clients may be eligible for additional WWRC services such as vocational evaluation or vocational training.
|Phone||800-345-9972, Ext. 5403327065, or 540-332-7065|